I started SF in June 1985. I never got promoted as I truly believed and still believe the service SF promises to deliver is done by the claim specialists who day in and day out. The claim specialists are the heart and backbone of State Farm. My loyalty will always remain with them. I was fortunate enough to retire very comfortably at 57 years old because I majored in finance and always knew how to work, save and live within my means. Management "thought" I did not have what it took to retire at 57. In hindsight it was well worth not going to ball games, concerts, extravagant vacations, and buying the most expensive vehicles. SF I can honestly say was well worth the first 30 years. They cared about us. They appreciated us. They had a benefit package that was huge in being able to retire at 57. For that, I say thank you to SF for its ability to not only talk about teamwork but to show it. I earned every penny I made at SF. It was not given to me. There were by far more good days than bad days. What I read here is NOT the SF I know now. If what is being said is remotely the truth, I sure would have done something else. Sometimes new isn't as good as the old.
22 replies (most recent on top)
If being a nobody is collecting a pension as long as I maintain a heartbeat and not going into the office and working with j*rkoffs like some of the commenters below, I’ll take it with eternal gratitude!
@6wqx This is a fine example of how they live off character assasination. You worked and earned what you got and you should still bow to them. Instead of them saying thank you and we appreciate your work, they look down on you. They take more away from you and you should be thankful to the almighty kingdom. The rules are changing. The elitist system is failing and will soon be a more even playing field. Watch!
@5pcl…..I’ll venture that you struggle with the concept of gratitude in general.
You seem really bitter. I used the word “grateful” because I paid exactly zero into my pension. The 401k I invested my money. Only 15% of companies offer an employer paid pension-according to you the other 85% of the population didn’t earn one? So yes I am grateful-get over it.
You earned that pension! It is NOT something to say "Thank You" about. That was part of the compensation package. I am struggling with this concept of gratitude toward an employer who said...I will pay this to you in exchange for this work. ? You worked...they paid....and that includes your pension and any other benefit. Stop this "grateful" stuff. YOU EARNED IT! That was part of the deal.
@1tdj. I was joking and you had to go to name calling. All the money isn't worth being angry.
I retired at 60 with a very generous pension and a 7 figure 401k. Very grateful for SF support.
@1mit-no problem thanks to retirement pay I have plenty of funds to pay healthcare for my spouse for next 6 years.
@1eab-LOL. Retired and well off while you are still jumping through hoops and so miserable you have to post your life’s failures on this site. LOSER.
@1zaz The suckers got your spouses healthcare.
@1zaz 36 ---- slow learner eh? ;-)
I’m retiring this year age 59, 36 years of service and big fat pension and big fat 401k and yes big fat Ira, thank you State Farm Growth Fund.
Good luck going forward.
@1ccv. WTF does race have to do with anything?
@1pfy+1gI8ZdTU- Looks as though the others hundreds and hundreds of "white males" who have reached management and are dominating the chairman's council are just superior and smarter than you salesboy. Now get back to making those cold calls boy.
@1pfy+1gI8ZdTUh- if your manager told you that, then either you are d-mb as F for not reporting it to an attorney and getting a huge settlement or you are a G.D. liar. Which is it Poindexter?
I could have been a prn star but they needed a fluffer.
@yui. Blah blah
@dpv. You get it. Well said. Thank you in more ways than one. The reason we are free. 👍
I started near the same time, in Auto Claims. Was told by a white male Superintendent that I, a white male Claim Rep, should stop interviewing for management positions because it wasn’t going to happen. So I interviewed for Agency 2000 and got in. Had other setbacks, and it wasn’t all it was promised to be, but turned out OK.
If I had it all to do over again…. He-l no. But it hasn’t been a bad life. I may have done better, but could have done a lot worse, too.
I was in the military and turned down multiple promotions. I could have been a General but preferred to be a private. I know the backbone of the military are the enlisted men and women and know remaining one of them was more important than becoming a General. Military leaders are all yes men and just salute their officers-not me.
And how is this gripe session any different from the 532 other posts you have made?
You got your big pension. Get with the real world