Thread regarding Thomson Reuters layoffs

Layoff season

Is anyone else nervous about the annual layoff time? It seems like the messages from upper management continue to be "rah rah we're so great...empowered and customer focused." They're clueless about how bad morale is so I wouldn't be surprised if there are more layoffs.

by
| 4440 views | |
Post ID: @OP+11iAGxjh

18 replies (most recent on top)

Put on your helmets, it's about to start.

by
|
Post ID: @zisz+11iAGxjh

Best to regard working at TR as a job that may be temporary. Don't look at it as a career. If you do you'll likely be sadly disappointed.

by
|
Post ID: @nnnk+11iAGxjh

Something is very wrong when people see losing their job as "inevitable."

by
|
Post ID: @mblc+11iAGxjh

It has been pretty quiet, but there has been some movement in the Tax Professional organization. Based on history you have to assume people will be losing jobs very shortly due to an elimination of roles. I don't want to diminish what people are feeling, but TR typically has had a decent severance package, which hopefully softens the blow for those impacted. Best of luck to all when the inevitable occurs.

by
|
Post ID: @bbcn+11iAGxjh

Does "targeted consolidation" mean more office closings? Those were announced before Thanksgiving last year and not just in Rochester. The move to MSP for 10K or lose your job, but maybe you'll get approved for work from home spiel was not well received. Most I know who were approved for work from home are waiting for the ax to fall either this fall or sometime in 2020.

by
|
Post ID: @abrj+11iAGxjh

Manager: "The workforce isn't being strategically reduced–you're losing your job because of a targeted consolidation of roles."
Employee" "Oh, that's ok then."

by
|
Post ID: @aetc+11iAGxjh

My goodness, is this ever talking-points-corporate-euphimism-speak. Someone, me thinks, need a reality-check or a long vacation:

"I don't think we are in store for a strategic reduction in the workforce, rather a more targeted consolidation of roles which will result in the unfortunate loss of some talent."

by
|
Post ID: @alfs+11iAGxjh

I also like to know if TR will have yearly Thanksgiving layoff...

by
|
Post ID: @8lpd+11iAGxjh

"A more targeted consolidation of roles?" On my team, there has been nothing but chaos since the reorganization began. Nothing is "targeted." We have no idea where to go with questions or problems and time is wasted trying to find out. The workloads have increased dramatically. Management makes a big deal out of getting rid of 5% of extra work while we still struggle with the other 95% left from all the layoffs. Everyone just keeps their heads down & hopes they aren't next.

by
|
Post ID: @7nvg+11iAGxjh

Sounds like HR or sr. mgt wrote the last post. It's a little late to be learning things now-that's why you PLAN.

by
|
Post ID: @7nhf+11iAGxjh

TR is learning so much this year, some things that are going well and some that haven't gone as well, so it's a natural result to see some shakeup as the picture becomes more clear. I don't think we are in store for a strategic reduction in the workforce, rather a more targeted consolidation of roles which will result in the unfortunate loss of some talent.
In regards to the 3200 number, it would be interesting to see where we are relative to that number, since it seems that we are hiring for new roles and filling open ones due to employee departures.

by
|
Post ID: @7gui+11iAGxjh

Really upsetting how the company treat its employees....

by
|
Post ID: @2gro+11iAGxjh

whatever happens, you can rest assured that you will be the last to know about your life for your career. This place is so toxic I can't wait to leave

by
|
Post ID: @2qpc+11iAGxjh

We have no clarity here yet either in Richmond VA about around 10 or 15% or whatever-it-ends-up-being reduction

by
|
Post ID: @2obr+11iAGxjh

They announced the Rochester closing a week before Thanksgiving (~400 ppl affected).

by
|
Post ID: @2wxq+11iAGxjh

It was before Thanksgiving, last year, at least in Hoboken. November 15 for me.

by
|
Post ID: @1bth+11iAGxjh

I thought the 3,200 figure was disputed?

by
|
Post ID: @1rnd+11iAGxjh

Well they are committed to dropping 3200 jobs by 2020. Now does that mean January 1, 2020 or December 31, 2020? They said it was to be a combination of layoffs, retirements, and attrition. I do wonder how far along they are. We are coming up to the one year anniversary of the big blood bath which if I recall was the week if Thanksgiving.

by
|
Post ID: @1pgm+11iAGxjh

Post a reply

: